Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chickey Curry. My way!

..OR what to do with marinated meat

This is a product of what happens when you have leftover meat that must be used pronto, and youre out of seemingly innovative recipes.

Im bored of the regular chicken curry I make at home, and I suspect the husband is too. Trouble is, I had some marinated chicken leftover from the batch I contributed to the BBQ lunch we went to on Sunday. I would have hated for the whole batch to go to waste, so I decided it must be put to good use.

The outcome was tasty, and the process of making it was quick and uncomplicated. The gravy was home cooked yet had that hint of "something special", out of the ordinary home-cooked menu. I think theres definitely going to be a repeat of this one.

Heres what I did..
What I used:
Chicken (enough for 2 people)
3 tbsps tandoori masala
3 tsps freshly made ginger-garlic paste
Juice of half a lime
4 tbsps thick curd
A pinch of salt (lesser than you would require)

2 medium tomatoes chopped
2 small onions chopped
2 green chillies chopped
A small handful of chopped coriander
A small piece of cinnamon, some cardamom and 2-3 cloves

How I made it:
First of all, I must say that the chicken I used, soaked in the marinade for over a day, so that probably made a huge difference. However, I think a few hours (3-4) should do the trick all the same.

Chop up the chicken and let it soak in the lime juice and salt for 15-20 minutes. Then, add in the curd, tandoori masala and ginger-garlic paste and let it sit for a good long while.



To prepare the gravy, in a little oil, saute onions, chillies, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves till the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and continue to saute till tomatoes are cooked well.



Once this is done, turn off the heat, throw in the chopped coriander and mix well. Set aside and allow this to cool completely.



Once completely cooled, blend the onion+tomato+coriander in a mixie till smooth.

In a pan with a little bit of oil, add marinated chicken and saute till semi cooked. Add the pureed onion+tomato+coriander and simmer till chicken is fully cooked.



Done!

2 comments:

  1. Ohooo...lovely new look. its been so long since I visited this blog. Nicee...am going to try this with paneer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im sure it will work just the same..make sure you marinate it :P

    ReplyDelete